SHRI (formerly Humanure Power) fights alongside communities to end open defecation as a key step in an ongoing struggle for health equity and social and economic justice.
5. SHRI offsets the operation and maintenance costs of each facility though the sale of this water. 250 water customers generate $900 per month for the costs at each site.
The SHRI Team
The local community members where SHRI works are who we consider to be our most valuable team members. Without their support and invaluable insights into how our work should be done, we will not succeed.
Founder, U.S. Director
Director, Goverment Relations
1. SHRI constructs toilet facilities on government land for $30,000. This includes 8 toilets for men, 8 for women, plumbing, hand washing stations, and the biogas digester. The toilet facilites are always free to use in order to encourage consistent use by community members.
2. Human waste is hygienically disposed of in the biogas digester. Anerobic digestion produces methane gas.
3. Methane gas is used as energy by powering a generator.
4. SHRI's water filtration system is installed through a partnership with DrinkWell Systems. It is WHO certified and removes arsenic, flouride, iron, and bacteria from water, making it safe to drink. Water is sold to customers for $0.008 per liter. ATM techonology allows customers to pre-pay for their water and simply swipe their card to dispense it.
Many thanks to the organizations and individuals who have supported SHRI over the past 5 years!
SHRI values transparency in measuring our progress towards improved access to toilets and safe drinking water. Now you can click on the images below to see our toilet user data and water customer data, which is updated every week.